Wednesday 16 February 2011

"I'm late! I'm late!" said the white rabbit..

And I am so sorry, but I genuinely had no idea or inspiration as to what to write about this week. I guess I've used up all my words on intern applications that I didn't have any left for me!

As I write this, I'm watching "The Notebook" (only 8mins in and I'm crying already, what a baby)- and something has occurred to me: you really can't guess what's about to come your way. Key things I've been musing on this week:
1. A year ago, if I'd been sitting on a chair and trying to look into the future, I never would have seen myself doing the things I'm doing now, or all the turns my friendships and settings would take. And I don't think that with this realisation that I could sit in a chair now and fathom what's going to hit me in the next year.
I mean, I could maybe guess the general direction of things: I'll be heading towards graduating, I'll be looking for graduate jobs in some stir-mad frenzy, my hair might be a little longer... but what if I'm not friends with the friends I have now? Could I be in love with someone else? What will my family look like? Thinking about this, I realised how heavily chance can change things, not to sound too defeatist or dreamy- but I felt like a tiny pebble at the bottom of the sea, pushed along by a huge wave and then resting in my spot until something else sweeps me up. 
2. Chance is such an infuriating thing, you think you have everything figured out  until something happens that completely changes the rules of the game. Like when you're a kid, you have your first love/crush and as you sit there sharing your raisins and swapping lunchboxes, you're sure they are the most perfect thing in the world and that's the one you're going to marry and spend the rest of your life with. Then you break up and wonder how stark-raving mad you were to think like that. The next love comes along, and ever wiser you are sure that this time you've gotten it right, and there's no way in heck you could not this person. That relationship goes to pot, but you have no time to mourn a loss cos you've just been to dinner with the One. Even though in technicality it's more like the Latest. You can look back and be sure of all the ways you were wrong, but it's so much harder to look forward and be sure you're right. 
When Noah meets Allie, she's really really itching to get away from him, and swoons over a guy with a seriously dodgy 'tasche (facial hair beyond a fetching designer stubble=huge risk. Not that I'm hinting or anything...) and here I am, sitting on my couch sniggering "haha, you're gonna fall in love with hiiiim!". She doesn't know that. What I would give for a chat with my future-self right now. I'm dying to know where I'm living, how I'm looking, who stood opposite me at the alter, or whether I've gone all rebellious and ditched the idea of marriage. And I'd also probably ask her where I put my mother's handbag that she wants back...nobody tell mother...
All those people you walk past on the street, the cancelled holiday plans, the cinema showings you ditch in favour of Orange Wednesdays and early-bird savers- what if you just slip past someone, not necessarily the destined "One", who could've swept your life in another direction?

...Parallel dimensions HAVE to exist...


At long last, I've managed to squeeze some photographic competency out of these hands, enjoy some shots from my very cosy Falentine's day (no, that's not a typo, its my way of marking fake-Valentine's).


No comments:

Post a Comment