Tuesday 7 December 2010

You could close your eyes and hear my week

This.Snow.Is.Pants.
Because of it, I don't have the intended illustrations for this blog post nor any of the men I wanted to see over the past week. And Starbucks ran out of milk. Grrrr. Here, have these ones instead.

Doesn't it look cosy? Mmmm
 Passer-by, if I weren't already taken, I know which website I'd be posting my crude romantic proposition on...
 Well, that predatory comment is probably gonna land me in some hot water upon publishing..whoops! Moving onwards, ever onwards, and upwards, and forever twirling- TWIRLING! (Simpsons reference anyone?) How have the ladies been keeping the chills at bay this weeks? Asides from preposterous layers of fleeces, blankets and socks? I discovered that watching Baz Luhrmann's "Romeo & Juliet" makes for one productive essay writing day, I managed to knock out about 1,000 words during and after that, all the while revelling in the witty dialogue and unbuttoned shirts. Aaaaah the 90s... My favourite scene of that without a doubt, is the duel at the petrol station. "DO YOU BITE YOUR THUMB AT ME, sir?" "NO, Sir, BUT I DO BITE MY THUMB, I DO NOT BITE MY THUMB AT YOU! Sir" And Tybalt has such graceful hands. If belly dance has taught me nothing else, it is the appreciation of beautiful hands.
Continuing with the movie magic, we then celebrated the end of that same essay with a 16 inch, stuffed-crust pizza and the "Little Mermaid". "Kiss The Girl" is my date song. Whenever a date goes really well, and I start thinking "Are we gonna kiss? Is a kiss expected? Would it be rude to withhold a wee peck on the cheek?" then this huge crescendo of the song starts up out of nowhere, and before I realise its all purely in my head, I've already started darting my eyes round the room as if hunting out an epileptic bee. Well, no, I don't, but it makes me feel very flustered. It still happens with him too. One date night last year it started snowing as we left the restaurant, fairy lights everywhere, and Sebastian the crab was wringing a fish's neck at that point- "GO AN AN KISS THE GIRL!".
Then last night, as I made headway with yet another essay, we watched the epic (running at 3 hours long, it is EPIC) "Snow Queen". It comes on every Christmas, is played in 3 installments, and is suitably girly and festive. I wouldn't rave to recommend it, I think its just ones of those things I love for no good reason.

You know what makes for a really good late-night play list though?
-Stornoway: Fuel Up
-Bat For Lashes: Daniel
-Noah and the Whale: The First Days of Spring

All songs I've had for a while, but not really paid any attention to, but oh are those good songs. The first one by Stornoway, that guy has such a beautiful voice. It's "that kind of voice", generically different, but I like it. Angus Stone too, has a voice that puts me in a trance (I friggin' LOVE Angus and Julia Stone, but they're one of the ones I don't want to be discovered so I can have them all to myself). I can't chose a favourite lyric from this, not a sole one, but I love this chunk right here:

Open your eyes and you're nine years older
Hands on the wheel and you're racing on over
To lie with your first love, you can't wait to see her
You borrowed the car and you think you're the driver
But now you're the passenger to your own heart
and it takes you travelling, travelling on.
When the morning broke and the sky fell down
It went black as night and the wind blew round
And stole your directions, you lost your way home
And you felt like a passenger left by the road
But I'll tell you the reason you couldn't get home
Cause there's nowhere you've been and it's nowhere you're going
Home is only a feeling you get in your mind
From the people you love and you travel beside
You may feel like a passenger but now you're the driver
You've got to go travelling, travelling on
Because if you break down, it's a cold, hard shoulder
So fuel up your mind and fire up your heart and drive on

I do a lot of travelling to get to my better half, at shortest its a half hour drive and longest a 6/7hour train if its a Friday or a Sunday. In any case, it's the longest amount of time to be thinking "not long now, and then the missing will stop". It's awful really, knowing the balm never lasts as long as you'd like it to, considering 8months our of a year you're playing a pseudo-single life. It was more bearable last year for some reason. Sorry, next song.

I didn't much like "Daniel" before, thinking someone had just coined onto any male name that would fit the hipster style, but then I actually listened to the lyrics and realised it was a little story. In short, girl meets boy, they have fun together, love each other, and when they part she still uses memories of him for comfort. That's what I got out of it anyway. I'm not being sappy, I'm not saying its a good song because its about love and holding a candle/flame for someone. No. Go away. I like the idea of having a home with someone: "Home is where the heart is". When I'm at uni, home is where mum's cooking is, where messing around with my sister is, where playing flying angels in the garden is. But when I'm home-home, home is where my girls are, where I laugh so hard at Sophie punching the inside of her jumper that I'm in pain, where I get the tightest hugs when I'm feeling a bit crap.

And when the fires came
The smell of cinders and rain
Perfumed almost everything
We laughed and laughed and laughed
And in the golden blue
Car you took me to the darkest place
And you set fire to my heart
...
And as my heart ran round
My dreams pulled me from the ground
Forever to search for the flame
For home again

 "The First Days of Spring" Well that's just a damned good driving song. If I had a cigarette, I'd sit cross-legged on my bed, with a glass of wine, a trusty smoke, and go through old photo albums and a book. Either the works of Neruda or the latest PostSecret book (both of which I plan on buying as a reward for hard work at Christmas).

For I do believe that everyone has one chance
To fuck up their lives
But like a cut down tree, I will rise again
And I'll be bigger and stronger than ever before

Might need that smoke now... it's all getting a little blurry in here

Lovelovee xx

No comments:

Post a Comment